Lottie by Airbnb in practice
WHAT IS ALL ABOUT?
It allows motion designer to export After Effects animation in json data format (actually it's several lines of code) with special plugin called Bodymovin. Json can be imported to iOS, Android, and React Native libraries. Lottie renders After Effects animations in real time, allowing apps to use animations as easily as they use static images.
more about Lottie: http://airbnb.design/lottie/
- Easily add high-quality animation to any native app.
- Animation treatment as regular image asset
- The same exported json data can be used on all platforms.
Some concerns so far:
- You can't actually use any shapes imported from Illustrator to After Effects, as they're not supported by Lottie (yet?).
- All illustrations should be created in After Effects with shape layers (it's a pain for AE newbies).
- You should define exact animation size in apps as exported json are considering only animated shapes size not taking in account composition canvas size.